Thursday, March 20, 2014

Music, Henna, and Zohra

   Since we have returned from the north, Faith, our roommate of two years ago, has returned from the US.  We met up yesterday at the gate to Kabul University and she took me to office in the Fine Arts Building.  She is in her third year of volunteering in the music department.  Her many talents and much expertise and experience in the music field, as well as business and people skills, have made her a very integral part of the development of the department.  She works 





with the Afghan Music Dept. Dean, and the 
faculty, two of which gave me personal concerts!  Here at the piano is Fawad, piano instructor.  Below is Moshen, guitar instructor.  Two of her graduates are away on scholarships, studying abroad.  The dept. is small, but growing.  







 I was invited to a Henna Party in the afternoon.  Theresa's language helper from Pakistan does this for brides, etc. primarily.  It last for about 4 days on the skin, so it won't last for my trip home, I guess!

Can you guess which hand is mine?

AFter the party, Zohra came to visit.  She is an english student of mine from 2011 who became my seamstress .... and is now sewing for other expats.  She worked for an NGO that downsized and lost her job.  HEr husband is not working either, so supporting 4 children (and another on the way) is daunting.  Needless to say, I purchased quite a few items from her bag of handwork.  She does the same embroidery work that many women do....beautiful.  The pink top I'm wearing here is one I ordered from her ahead of my visit.  It is always a joy to see her.  Wish we could bring these wonderful friends more stability in their country.  We are doing what we can, as are hundreds, if not thousands  of others still laboring in Afghanistan.  Lots of love being given and received here.

No comments:

Post a Comment