Wednesday, May 7, 2014






I am back in Glennallen arriving near midnight on Sunday after a four hour drive from the Anchorage airport, all of which could have been driven without headlights given the late setting sun in these parts (but for safety, I did turn them on, if for no other reason than to alert the bull moose along the roadside that I was headed his way).

The weekend in Chicago to remember and honor my friend and colleague who died in Afghanistan in April was a busy and meaningful experience.  I not only met his family but also some of the immediate family of the young couple who also involved in the tragedy.  I continue to be amazed and blessed by the over 150 expressions of support Marita and I have received from our friends who share their concern for us and also the families involved, even though they have never met them.    Thank You for your love and support!

Jerry was the first pediatrician to join the Lawndale Christian Health Center, a thriving facility with many services to care for one of the most challenging communities in South Chicago.  The love for him was hugely evident in the assembly of hundreds at the memorial, the overwhelming provision of food, transportation and housing for the weekend activities (enough so that the coordinator had to say “no more” to those offering), and the re-gathering of coworkers over the years.

My hosts, Karen and Bill had worked with Jerry in the past, were most gracious and fun to be with.  Karen actually has given tours for folks through some of the neighborhoods in the area so gave me a look at some of the unique architecture in the communities.  Over the weekend, I travelled in the steps of some famous folks:  past the home and studio of Frank Lloyd Wright, viewed some other homes he and his contemporaries had designed, past the apartment that the MLK, Jr. family lived in when they moved to Chicago to protest the unequal housing rights.  Jerry and Jan live just a couple of blocks from the Obama’s home, and the gymnasium where we had the memorial was dug out by shovel and wheelbarrow from the Cadillac agency where Al Capone purchased his cars.

I enjoyed hearing the stories of folks’ experiences with Jerry, many of whom I heard him speak as we travelled and lived together, now meeting them for the first time.  I am not the only one who considered him a gifted doctor, a warm friend, and enthusiastic adventurer.  Among many stories, he loved to tell of their eight hour zip-line excursion in Thailand, advising Marita and I to not miss it when we travelled there, although we did not heed is recommendation.  They showed a video at the service of his zipping down a line, whooping and hollering along the way.

We had time to meet with those of us connected to the training program and grieve together, share our concerns for the future and begin formation of an interim course of action.  It looks like I will be the point person at this stage, trying to be as available and helpful as Jerry was even when he was in the US.  Likely that will mean many emails, phone calls and Skype encounters to keep communication flowing.  I will have great support from our sending and receiving agencies in Tulsa and Colorado Springs.  


Those of us who spent time with Jerry knew that he was always pondering. I noticed he would often start a conversation with the words, “OK, so...”  Riding with him and some of our faculty with our driver we would hear those words often:

“OK, so,  I need to go to the community clinic at 12:00.”
“OK, so,  who do you think are the leading candidates for president?”
“OK, so, Doctor, what is your brother doing now?”

Actually I think Jesus had the same expression; maybe those "verily, verilies" really should be translated:

“OK, so,  if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed...nothing shall be impossible to you."  (Matthew 17:20)
"OK, so,  if a grain of wheat fall into the ground and die, it brings forth much fruit."
(John 12:24)
"OK, so,  you shall weep but your sorrow shall be turned to joy."  (John 16:20)
"OK, so,  whatever you shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you you."  
(John 16:23)

Well, OK, so...it’s one notion, anyway

In Asian countries, the custom usually is to remove your shoes before entering the home or workplace.  So it’s good to have shoes that are easy to remove and survive the dust and mud of the country.  Jerry introduced me to the L.L. Bean slip on Storm Chaser; so I had to wear my pair for the weekend, even though they never quite meet the high standard of appearance that our housemate, Kelly, would tolerate there.  I will always wear them with joy remembering my gifted friend.

Jon


1 comment:

  1. ... I probably will never fight any more when I see you using this ugly shoes rs rs... But I might cry... I cried when I so Jerry's ugly sandals and shoes in his room at the guest house... How I wish he could be here, wearing it and i could keep laughing at him about that... How I wish he could be here...
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete